Thursday, June 2, 2016

Reasons I love Bengaluru

Source-Google
I'm not born and brought up in Bengaluru. I'm from a relatively small town in Karnataka and like many others I moved to this city for job opportunity and fulfilling my dream of living in a big city. The moment I stepped in here, it was love at first sight. I was fortunate enough to visit a few more cities and I must concede none of them comes close to "Namma Bengaluru". It is almost a decade since I started calling this city my home. Today after a brief siesta, I drew curtains to witness the drizzling and cool breeze carrying the earthy smell. No, I am not yearning to have hot Pakoda or Chai. That is what normal people wants to do. But, I find the urge to write this post, the reason I love Bengaluru.

1. The amazing weather tops the list. The pleasant breezy mornings, chilly winters, sudden downpour in hot summer afternoons. Though it was a harsh summer this year, the weather is back to its normal self with few showers. I remember my father cribbing about hot coastal summer this morning and I pompously bragging about Bengaluru weather.

2. Availability of basic amenities, be it a grocery store, hospital, school, fruits/vegetable shops, medical store, hardware shops, ATMs, banks, clothes, accessories, shoes, the list is endless. Be it in any part of the city, these shops are present in every nook and cranny. This undoubtedly makes the life more comfortable and easy. 

3. Food. I'm not a great foodie. My options are pretty much limited. I'm a kind of person who is happy with just rice and dal/rasam. But I would love my loved one enjoying exotic food. Chinese, continental, Lebanese, Japanese, you name it and this city has it. It is not only about fancy restaurants. The innumerable Darshinis, chat shops, street food. It caters to each and everyone depending on their budget. Who doesn't want to have options? Ultimately, we do everything to have meal on our table right?

4. Transport. One of the best transports in India. BMTC buses connects almost each and every part of the city. They are overcrowded and congested, but they ply morning to night nonetheless. More elite Volvo buses are abundant too, though a little heavy on price side.

5. Job opportunities. Having earned the name of Silicon City, it provide work to almost all. Many people think it is only about "IT" industry, however, it is not so. This city never disappointed a person who really seek work and want to make a living.

6. Shopping mall/Street Shopping. I am not a person who likes to hangout in malls. And definitely won't shell out my hard earned money on their expensive stuffs just for the lable. The only thing that draws my attention in mall is multiplex where we can watch back to back movies. For the real shopping I prefer commercial street, Malleswaram, brigade road, and so on. 

7. Parks. Apart from Lalbhag and Cubbon Park, there are numerous well-maintained parks all around the city. It is garden city for a reason after all. The joggers, fitness enthusiasts, senior citizens, and children can make most out of it.

8. Getaway to destinations like Hampi, Goa, Pondicherri, Chennai, Madikeri, Mysore, Mangalore, Ooty, Kodaikanal, Gokarna, Hyderabad, Waynad and many more.

9. Pubs. A large number of watering holes in Asia. Bangalorians know how to hold their drink. We go by the policy, work hard and party harder. There are elegant pubs in almost all swanky areas of the city. With many pubs offering happy hours, we can unwind at any part of the day. And not to forget discotheque where one can dance till they drop. DJs play awesome music in some places and it is a heaven for music lovers. And, spare me of "our culture" thing.  

10. Cosmopolitan culture. Kannadigas, Tamilians, Malayalis, Telugites, North Indians, Europeans pretty much says about it all. Bengalurians' are friendly, helpful, considerate, and generally nice people. We are clearly not talking about exceptions here.

There are few drawbacks like lack of infrastructure, traffic, garbage issues, etc. Almost all the cities of developing countries have these issues, and Bengalure is not an exception. Those naysayers that crib always about Bengalure should wake up and smell the coffee. Either love the place where you live or leave the place you don't love. It is not that hard right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment