Friday, June 10, 2016

Mango Mood

Source: Google
My earliest memories of mangoes dates back to summer holidays that we spent at grandmother's place. We three siblings and two cousins were a riot. The first thing my granny would say when our respective parents arrive to take us back home for the next school year is "'I'l never invite these kids ever again. They have caused so much distress and trauma.' We little monsters snigger at each other knowing our Ammamma very well. A week before holiday starts, a letter would arrive asking dad to get us to her place for the rest of the holiday. This happened each and every year without fail.

Ammamma had 5 to 6 mango trees in her plantation. They were of different varieties. Neelam and Mundappa are the only two can remember. We used to have it three times a day; as mid day snack, evening with other refreshments, and religiously one after dinner. I used to eat in an orthodox manner. Peel off the succulent and delicious mangoes with teeth and gorge on it. I was accustomed to have mango skin too provided it is not very bitter. Yes, the juice runs down sometime to elbows and sides of mouth and neck, and it is a little messy too. Thank god! I was not a diagnosed OCD back then. Till this day I would like to have mangoes in an old fashioned way. Slicing them and eating is nothing less of a sin if you ask me. 

Either you are a mango lover or not, there is no middle ground to it. In India, mangoes are synonymous with summer holidays and grandparents' house. This year I get to taste a new variety, "Imam Pasand" during our recent visit to Hyderabad. I seriously don't understand what is so big deal about it. It is sweet, juicy, and alright. May be I was over expecting? The only thing I can say, I have tasted much more better variety. I know there are many other types of mangoes which I have not tasted and I can't wait to do so. The Raspuri, Banganpalli, Badami, Sindhura, Totapuri, Mallika, Malagoba, Neelam are few breeds which I have loved immensely.

What promoted this post? Well, as I unlocked the door this afternoon, the house smelled mangoey (I just created that word). With stomach grumbling I decided to finish my lunch first and devour mango later. Mango had always been my favourite fruit, although there was a time when I used to write 'Grape' as my favourite fruit in those stupid scrap books. You know what I mean?  May be because mangoes were available abundantly and grapes, rarity and expensive. As I'm loyal by default, my loyalty extends to worldly things also. Hence mango is my beloved fruit once again.

Rumor has it that mango production a little dull here; however, we get delicious, juicy, heavenly mangoes in the market for a reasonable price. So, we are already relishing on them and continue to do so until the season ends. Mango aptly got the name King of Fruits and I couldn't have agreed more. Is it declared national fruit of India? I would like to believe so.

No comments:

Post a Comment