Sunday, January 31, 2016

Parental Care


I was at my parents' from Jan 14 to 26 to look after my father. He had to undergo bilateral hernia surgery as a precautionary measure. It was in October last year that I diagnosed it as inguinal hernia. After a lot of cajoling, blackmailing, and literally threatening, he agreed upon to go ahead. Surgery was scheduled and we all as a family huddled up as one. This is sort of a mini family gathering. He had to stay in the hospital for two days. His blood glucose was normal during the surgery and shot up immediately after the surgery. That was a little worrying factor. He was put on insulin and sugar levels are pretty much back to baseline. But he was in extreme pain. His speech and demeanor was incoherent. However, he was discharged in two days in stable condition. I assumed the role of a primary caregiver. Now for a paranoid like me it is the worst job. I tell you why. Dad needs assistant in changing positions, that is from supine to sitting and sitting to standing. He wakes one time at night to go to the bathroom. My mother also gets up with me even after reprimanding from doing so. I was there for a reason right? I get up minimum three times during night on the pretext of checking his temperature. But what I actually do is check for his breathing. I know my insanity has no bounds. I'm insistent on keeping the zero bulb on. Finally when I fall asleep, it is already morning. As analgesics wears off, dad will get up because of pain. I drag my ass out of bed since I ought to check his fasting blood sugar and postprandial too after breakfast. I move around the house like zombie assisting dad here and there. He even asks me to sleep for a while in the morning, but I took upon the responsibility of watering plants, picking up arecanut, plucking vegetables, chasing monkeys, the chores that my dad do on a regular basis.

I know mom too need rest in this ordeal as she worries too much and a little bit scared. So, after sumptuous lunch, I instruct both my parents to take a nap, so that I can rest as well. It looks like I run out of my luck here. My boisterous little nephew wants all my attention, otherwise he will be all whiny and cranky. It is the first time since he and me spending quality time together after his arrival (into this world of course, he is 3-1/2). He like a puppy dog follows me everywhere. I taught him one or two of my signature dance moves. We danced to 'Abhi Toh Party Shuru Huyi Hai' almost everyday. Before you could lecture me on 'age appropriate' crap, let me enlighten you. I am the cool aunt here. I will leave disciplining and regulating to his parents. I changed my decision to become a farmer in old age because it is hell lot of a hard work boss. Gorging on mom's delicious food, chatting with them incessantly, getting heckled by my darling nephew is how I spent my days. The only downside to this is I was missing hubby terribly. This one week separation is the longest in our almost four year's married life. My dad demonstrated all signs of recovery. His goal was to be independent before I could leave and 'he is' to a great extent. Undoubtedly, there will be gnawing worry about his health . I now call every morning and night to make sure they are alright. It is the least I could do staying away from them. Guilt of not doing enough will be badgering to no end.

PS-Rumor has it that pesky relatives gossiping that if I have kids of my own, I would not have gone and took care of my dad.  Touche. Hell, not. I'l leave you with this quote "I'm allergic to stupidity. I breakout in sarcasm."

No comments:

Post a Comment