Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day



The whole world celebrated mother's day this Sunday. My FB timeline was filled with mother's day wishes so was twitter. A mother's sacrifice, love, care, dedication, the child being the center of her life, sleepless nights. Mother's appreciation in all glory.

I slept till 9, got ready for a wedding, had early lunch at 11, left to Bangalore from Chennai. I called my mother and wished in the evening. Though she knows about mother's day, she doesn't remember the date like birthdays or anniversaries. It is unlike for a woman who has an elephantine memory and I am fortunate enough to inherit that quality of her. Its only because of good memory I used to clear my exams. I digress.

My mom is the innocent kind. She doesn't critically analyse people like I do. She believes whatever she hears or sees. It is she who chose my name, which I am proud of by the way. She isn't an atheist like me, but not much of a believer either. Sometimes I even doubt her beliefs. She doesn't regard horoscope, palmistry, vasthu, and all that jazz. She is a movie buff just like me, though now a days she prefers daily soaps much to my dismay. She is technologically challenged. Another trait of mine. Her political knowledge and current affairs are immense. She is punctuate. All things need to be done on time, which really is a pain in the you-know-where sometimes. I don't remember her scoldings. She never lifted a finger on my siblings or me. She is a nurturer. She always made sure we are well-fed. Though extremely caring, but not expressive. 

Our roles reversed a long time ago. It is my mom who said I am like mother and she the daughter. Yes, I try to keep her away from stressful, sad news because she is a constant worrier. I like to pamper her, splurge on her. I protect her like mother hen. I call her once in two days and she is her chirpy self, gossiping and discussing what is happening around the world. It could be the most cliched thing "my mom is the best cook in the world." She is. The patrode (colacacea leaves dipped in batter and steam cooked), neer dose, kotte kadubu, chattambade, basale huli. I can go on and on. Really, they are drool worthy. Even though all the recipes are available online, I would call her and ask just to make her happy.

Despite being a rebellion and drama queen, I was a good daughter. All that changed when I fell in love and hell-bent on taking the relationship forward. My father and I were estranged for a four long years. It is my mother who suffered the most in this battle. I know I hurt her really bad. I would like to believe she has forgiven me. Aren't mothers epitome of forgiveness. But hey mom don't you agree I found you a picture perfect son-in-law who loves your little girl to bits and pieces. 

She loved, cherished, sacrificed, worried, cared, fought for us. She not even once made us feel guilty about not spending enough time with her. Not even once she mentioned how much she struggled to raise us. She is all happy and fun when kids are around. I don't think she can tolerate us more than a few days. She needs her space and control on remote too. She doesn't intrude in our personal life, but all ears when need be. She is easy to laugh with as she has her own weird sense of humour. She raised a strong, opinionated, independent, individualistic(narcissist I am) daughter and for me she is the best mother in the whole world.

PS: She is an amazing mother-in-law too. Ask my sisters-in-law and hubby. They will vouch for her.

1 comment: